Saturday 16 March 2013

The filming of a live Event

On Thursday the 14th march me and my twin traveled to a somerset apprenticeships awards 2013 at a holiday inn in Taunton, this was our second experience at filming a live event, we had to been asked to make a 2-3 min promo video for the organisation, we had been told that the event organizer Jed Wood would  meet us and give us a general outline how what we should film.   

when we got there we decided on how we were going to film the event (as communicating ideas to each other was key)  we scouted out the building deciding where we were going to place our camera's. The first thing that we did was a wide angle time lapse shot to establish the location, the amount of people and the general mood, while that was being shot I did a few mid shots of the people talking to each other, generally having a good time. I then filmed the student guitarist with a few medium close ups on my 50mm prime lens as it was a lot sharper than the kit lens we were using. we then met Jed wood who helped organize the event, he told us to concentrate on the awards part, do a small bit on people entering and talking.

After about 40 mins people started to move to where the awards were taking place, we then went to our planned positions which were, Gabriel setting up his camera near the entrance so he could get people entering, I was inside the room getting shots of people sitting down, greeting each other and also entering the room, before the awards started being given out we set up our cameras in the arranged positions, I was on the right of the podium and he was on the left, he would be focused on filming the awards being given and I would focus on people watching also the awards being given. half way through the awards Gabriel ran out of card space, luckily I had a back up although the card I had kept automatically stop filming after about 10-20s of video, I had to then focus my camera on filming the awards being given, then my card also got to its maximum capacity, I had to quickly go through my previous footage and delete some of the less essential shots (next time I will remember to bring backup cards that work) I then had to use the card that kept stopping to film the last bit.

1 comment:

  1. It look like you approached this at a near professional level I look forward to seeing the rushes before you edit.

    ReplyDelete